Thursday, March 03, 2005

5 Questions w/ Jonathan Hays

The answers to my 5 questions w/ Jonathan Hays.... there's some sort of
protocol for asking these questions of the first 5 people to post who'd
like to answer questions..... but currently I think blog readership
consists of 3 or 4 and most of you have probably answered these....but if
you'd like.... drop me a post, and I'll ask you 5 unique, probing
questions.

>From firstfloorflat.com:

He is probably my best good friend in the whole world, it is with him that
I can most be myself with. Jake is married to Erin and is the Southern
Baptist Campus Minister at the University of Utah. His favourite beer is
Dos Equis. He firmly (fishy) believes that pretty much every situation can
be summed up in a quote from a Reel Big Fish song or the movie
BASEketball. He came to faith whilst sleeping with me (true story). These
are his questions.

1. Why aren’t you a Presbyterian yet? Follow-up question for an extra 5
points: Could you enumerate 5 ways in which J.C. Ryle kicks butt?
I have trouble with the inclusion of children in the covenant and the
concept of being removed from the covenant. I also have issues with
varying views on paedobaptism i.e. presumptive regeneration…. I did pick
up Christ of the Covenants awhile back, and I plan on checking out Christ
the King when I get down to H-Town.

5 ways that Ryle Rules: There is only one appropriate acronym to answer
this question…..

T: Total Depravity – reading Holiness owned me in so many ways – but
Ryle’s constant reminder of our state (including his vivid treatment of
infant’s depravity) was refreshing and always brought me to the cross as I
considered his arguments.

U: Uncompromising on his view of justification has really re-ignited my
personal doctrinal purity fire. How are we pursuing holiness if we’re not
pursuing God’s Word? How can we pursue sanctification w/o a proper view
of justification? Ryle raises these issues.

L: Limited Atonement – a stumbling block to the Jews and folly to the
Gentiles…. Ryle’s arguments are centered on the premise that Christ’ death
actually accomplished something. Amen and amen

I: Introspective: One cannot read Holiness w/o being challenged
constantly to look inwardly and be in concert w/ the Great Physician’s
pruning; not only for myself, but for the sake of the purity of the Body.
The way that Ryle writes has really blessed my men’s group, and I’ve been
overwhelmed by watching them grow.

P: Pride: Ryle will slap you upside the head w/ his boldness in telling
it like it is. He said of John Owen, something to the effect of: This man
had more learning in his pinky then most man have in their body…. Or
something like that…. At any rate…. Reading him I got the distinct
impression that he wasn’t one who writes to see his name in lights, but he
communicated how moved he was with concern for the whole Body of Christ….
Something I’m only starting to get a glimpse of.

2.If you were a fruit, which one would you be, and why?
I guess I’ll roll with the apple: hard exterior that protects the soft
inside…. On the outside it looks delicious…. Yet on the inside who knows
how many worms are wriggling ‘round. Nonetheless most people are willing
to take a chance on an apple if it looks good on the outside and they’ll
stick around to get to the core of it, despite the bruises they find on
the inside.

3. If you had 10 minutes with Gordon B. what would you like to talk about
with him?

This is a question I’ve actually asked myself many times…… when it all
comes down to it…. I suppose I would spend that time sharing my experience
with the human condition and would leave him with a little Galatians 2 on
faith alone….. “For if I rebuild what I destroyed I prove that I am a
lawbreaker….” But truthfully if I had an audience with him, I would
probably be to grieved by all the people that are following him into
darkness to speak…. I feel confident in that situation that any words I
speak would have to be words given me by the Holy Spirit….. it would take
far more mercy than I could muster to be charitable (much in the vein of
the apostles at the beginning of Acts).

4. What do you think is RIGHT with the church today?
Church as an institution…. Very little….. at least people are compelled on
some level to support missions…… I’m far more encouraged by the Church
(congregates) than I am by the institution. I’m hopeful for a member-led
revolution…. I meet a lot of people on campus who love the Lord – there’s
something pure about young people (and I would consider myself 3 years
removed from this group) who look forward in life and see Christ
unhindered by the bureaucracy of institution. There’s such a myriad of
ministry and hope in that type of vision that’s compelling. If I had my
way – I would live in community with them, find some finances to free them
from college obligations for two years or so – and ….I know this is asking
a lot….. pro-actively reach out to the community……it would be Life
Together w/ solid Christology/Soteriology! That’s what I think is right
with the Church… and I hope that they will revolutionize the institution
of church. If I may borrow a word from my Pentecostal brethren….. I am
praying for serious, widespread revival.

5. What do you look forward to most about living in (giddy-up) Houston?
I am eager to cultivate an alien in this world mentality…. I am hopeful
for renewed humility in the face of Christ…..nothing grieves me more than
cultural Christians so I am eagerly awaiting the plank in your own eye
slap down…..more than anything I’m excited to see Erin fulfill her dream
of becoming a doctor, and we’re both excited about buying our first home.
Jump on it....

-jake

No comments: