Friday, October 21, 2005

Stormy McThunderson

I'll leave the title to your speculation.......

So - the 'Stros are in the World Series for the first time ever.... and while I'm not the biggest baseball fan on the block, this season has really renewed my interest in the sport I'd forsaken ever since the Oakland A's traded my boyhood hero.... Jose Canseco.... I mean.... when we moved here the Astros were buried at 15 games under 500 and left for dead...... and now here they are in the series...... OK, so Sticky posted a link on his blog (ostrichjockey.blogspot.com) to a song that will change your life...... I must admit that I'd born witness to this video once before when my doppleganger, Tiffany e-mailed it to me..... but I will link it here as it will no doubt bless your life in erstwhile unimagined ways.....

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/llama.php

I e-mailed this link to several of my co-workers after I'd given a presentation at work featuring the following image:


As the great llama revolution sweeps through your hearts and minds - I hope you will remember where you first saw that wondrous video.....

Here's a subject I've been thinking a lot about lately:

Ethnocentricity and the church:

Here in Houston we're surrounded by people of all different cultures....yet for the most part... when I walk into a church and look around.... it's pretty vanilla.....

There's something to be said for the cultural context argument..... we don't necessarily want to americanize all these other cultures in terms of their expression of the worship of Christ, but on the same token how is the church impacting her people to develop any kind of real devotion and compassion for all of God's people.....

If you've been brought up in a run of the mill middle class suburban church where everyone looks like you (politically/socially/economically etc.) how is this preparing your soul for the worship of the Lord with all the saints on that day when we're all before His throne? What would you do? Would you find the suburban worshippers section?

Here's the issue in a nutshell: the church is raising people to love and care about the type of people that would come to that particular church rather than training people to develop compassion for all nations and to love the Body as a whole, not just the local expression of Christ in your neighborhood.....

Seriously... when's the last time someone in your fellowship mentioned that tsunami that wiped out SE Asia? We forgot about it completely because we had hurricanes here.....

Is this issue overcome in any meaningful way by having a once every three month mixer with the Korean church that meets down the street? Is the Gospel being preached in a way that communicates that in the City of God we are all one in Christ Jesus? How do we communicate to congregates a love for all peoples? Perhaps we do this by raising awareness on social issues and missions opportunities? I think that's a fair start..... as fair as the quarterly mixer with the "ethnic" church..... but there's danger here too.....

People go on a mission trip to some country overseas.... and then they develop a "heart" for that country.... which has done little more (with respect to overcoming ethnocentricity) than to transfer that persons ethnocentricic mindset to a different cultural area.....

So what's the solution? Is there something more we can draw out in our corporate confession? Is there an element to the table that we're not expressing? Or perhaps we're at a point where people in general have such a low view of scripture that to get them to develop any meaningful compassion for the people around them is deemed a sufficient challenge?

OK.... I'll move on from there.... your thoughts are appreciated.....


Here's my closing thought:

Erin and I keep running into people who have these really cute little kids - and I think to myself.... I'd like a cute little kid.... but then I meet people with babies and I think..... why has God abandoned you?

A kid would be grand because it would:

1) Challenge Erin and I in every area of our life
2) It would grow us spiritually as we're challenged to be a functioning spiritual unit
3) It would give me something to do when I get home from work and Erin is studying!!!!
4) It would give me an excuse to purchase all sorts of cool sports things like a baseball mitt and a soccer ball

Unfortunately I have no ability to deal with a baby..... I don't understand them, and I don't know what to do with them.... I mean they pee/poop all over the place... or they hurl on your shirt when you're late for work..... they cry all the time... and they don't sleep (all of these symptoms remind me of myself as I was trying to finish my thesis.....)

So I've arrived at a solution: Erin and I can have a baby and then mail it to Utah where it will spend some quality time (3 yrs or so) with its grandparents.... I think between Juanita and my mom and dad, and the Ruds..... this kid will be raised like a champ, and then they can just fax the child back to us when it's 4 or so.... and then I can talk to it, and start teaching it sports and differential equations.....

Tragically Erin thinks mailing our child to Utah for 3 yrs would be 'inhumane' or something to that effect.... It's clear that her moral acumen is impinged by her med school study load.....or else this matter would be clear..... but until she receives some clarity on that topic.... I guess I'll have to pine away for my beloved Battlecat.....

And now: a sonnet regarding Battlecat -

"Battlecat, my heart's desire"

Shall I compare you to a summer's drool?
You are more hygienic and more considerate.
As a beast you are an incomparable fool
for my affections and heart's palpet

Battlecat: romping, and licking and true
Erin will not condemn your excitement
Unlike a llama I cannot ride you
But we shall frolic and make merriment

As we walk down the street paw in hand
Others will look and envy our joy
Is there a fairer quadriped in all the land
Nay, Battlecat for you alone: "Atta Boy"

Battlecat most fair and most hairy
Eating cockroaches so they won't be scary.

10 comments:

chuck said...

Enjoyed reading your blog, your concerns, your humorous light touch...my
spiritual persuasion is not evangelical; still, I appreciate the sincerity of your concerns as well as your sense of humor..."KEEP THE FAITH"...

Danny said...

You know, Jake, I don't think there's a cure for ethnocentricity short of Jesus' return. However, I don't necessarily think that's a thing to fret over. Just as long as no single group attempts to subjugate everyone else, I think that we'll be okay until the last day.

The message of Jesus will always be somewhat stamped with the impression of the ethnicity of the missionary, but I think that people will (if left free to do so) put their own stamp on the worship aspect in a way that makes sense to them. I don't see this as the same as a "mixed religion," rather, I see it as indigenous peoples taking all the richness of their culture, and using it to glorify the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

I don't think we can really prepare for the glorious fellowship of eternity. I don't think we can do more than just conceive it at this point; we'll have to experience it in the light of God's glory to actually understand it.

My two cents.

Anonymous said...

Jake, Jake, Jake.......
Having a child, (kidlet tricycle motor etc) is a wondrous thing. A let me tell you, more fun than any Battlecat. OF course, after you get a child (on ebay), and especially having a son, you can lobby for the child to have a BATTLECAT playmate!
Parenthood! You should try it, just so I can sit back and watch the Maureen/Juanita Show. You think life is complex now? HA HA HA HA.
Then, after the peeing/pooping/hurling stage you will endure,they grow up, and you get to go to things like scout camp dust bowls, and drive mindlessly across the country for years to come. Fun for the whole family!

PS: NEver go to Lincoln Nebraska. (ask the new Illinois Resident about that.
Mr R.

Danny said...

I also want to say that the llama picture above finally explains where all those 80's legwarmers came from. They were once living creatures!

Anonymous said...

im scared of llamas and emu's for that matter! glad I found your blog though..I will have to add you to my "people to read" list since your cool like that. Thanks for inviting us along to dinner...yall are super fun!

Anonymous said...

Hi there " jake & erin " --- I was in the search engines researching SEO Software when I came upon your blog..... I don't know if you are out of place in the engines, or I am out of place and just don't realize it :-)

Anonymous said...

Jake,
If it's a Hughes it's going to be screwed up anyways. Ha ha. Maybe those good Umbriaco genes will balance everything out. Good luck

-Cousin Heather

John Roberson said...

Jake, you have a blog!

I am busy Friday and Saturday, but what are you doing Thursday night? Call me!

The llamas are AWESOME! And so is the SONNET!

The Pentecostal defeat of the judgment at Babel has yet to be fully realized. But I have hope - Rev 5:9!

Excuses for buying cool sports toys are ALWAYS welcome! Faxing babies IS NOT!!!!

!

Anonymous said...

Concerning Jose Canseco, what sort of person idolizes a baseball player who doesn't even play baseball? I mean, does that guy even own a glove? When's the last time he used it? 1986?

Concerning the sonnet...Dude, you have way too much time on your hands...Get a hobby!

Concerning disparaging comments about Lincoln/Nebraska (above)...Oh, I don't think it's all that bad, is it? I've been happily living in Omaha for almost 4 years! Of course, Lincoln is not Omaha - but just the same, perhaps you were simply poorly acquainted with the area? If you're a teetotaler (and shame on you if you are), then I could see apprehensions about the town...

CCR said...

Thy Reproductive Calling: A Brief Rebuke

Of COURSE you have "no ability to deal with a baby." This is merely to state the obvious & expected. It is excuse-making & nothing more, and has no bearing on your ultimate requirement to be fruitful & populate the world w/ ever-more Umbriacos. Fan into flame your manly gifts & thereby fulfill the procreational mandate from on high. (For Mormon readers I re-phrase accordingly: Please provide bodies for the many spirit babies, so valiant in the pre-existence, that they may find entrance into your loving, if financially feeble, home. I say this by the power of the Melchizedek priesthood, which I hold).

And to clear up a few other complaints ...

"I don't understand them" - nobody does; they can't talk for a long time, and woe be unto you after they can. As the old proverb goes, 'The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face.'

"they pee/poop all over the place" - well ya, if you're woefully negligent enough to forget to diaper them. If THAT's how you plan to go about things, it certainly is best to hold off on reproducing yourselves (p.s. - dogs pee/poop all over the place as well).

"they hurl on your shirt when you're late for work" - why are you late for work, anyway? Hmmm?
Furthermore any nimrod knows that you point the child AWAY from you. For crying out loud, would you stare into the chamber of a loaded gun while cleaning the trigger?

"they cry all the time" - surely this may be true of some babies, but they're a minority (not that I'm prejudiced against 'minorities'); all cry some of the time, & some cry all of the time; but of course stern discipline can never begin too early, so assert your authority & brandish a tool of punishment from day one - that's my advice. Laszlo's sword may at last have practical rather than purely aesthetic/emotional value for you at that point.

"they don't sleep" - this is simply naive, pessimistic, cynical, defeatist, and physiologically erroneous to boot; they'll die if they don't sleep; the question is when, for how long, & whether YOU get your own sleep interrupted at times, which you will.

Finally, I was truly touched by your Battlecat hymn (though you plagiarized Shakespeare, Byron or whoever it was). And I'll admit that those heartfelt longings for the creature (the subtle overtones of beastiality notwithstanding) did remind me of my former four-footed companion Goldie, for whom I know you also bore a certain fondness.

As Luther himself once said, dogs would be much more highly prized if they were less common.

ps - those llamas in the picture are fakes & you know it.