Monday, July 13, 2009

Ciao Babe

This weekend I flew to Denver to help the Duncan's and Jenkins' move to Louisville for Seminary (Southern Baptist Theological Seminary). Corey asked me if I was up for a road trip months ago and as a special bonus - Amie and Jared decided to move at the same time. I was greeted at the Denver Airport by two 26 ft moving vans each towing a vehicle, and the Jenkins truck towing a boat.

This was a pretty special trip for me. It was very cool to be able to spend so much time with people who've meant so much to me in my spiritual growth. To be able to be with them on their way to seminary was a beautiful thing. I found out about Salt Company (the campus ministry at the Univ of Utah through which I came to faith in Christ) through Amie. Our first year at school she was roommates with a friend of mine from high school. I got to know Jared through Salt Company and became good friends when he and Amie moved back to SLC. Jared and Amie took over leadership of the Salt Company after Erin and I moved in 2005 and I was so encouraged knowing that they were there. I knew Corey from Salt Co also... but we fell in hetero-love when we went to Italy together in the Summer of 2002. Corey and I spent the summer working with refugees... we shared a small one bedroom apt with another guy and that combination of stench and closeness has a way of bonding people.
Kansas is not interesting in the least in terms of scenery. The coolest thing about it was the signs. This one is for the 2nd friendliest yarn store in the universe... bold claim. We also saw signs for a live 5-legged steer, and the world's largest prairie dog.
Corey is demonstrating safe-driving techniques and flawless concentration.
After unloading Corey's moving van - we all went to visit a purveyor of food and beverage in their fare city. Here's a picture of Amie and Jared. (Happy 7th Anniversary!)

And here's one of Corey and I.
Here's a picture of the new Duncan abode. I'm not sure if Jenni will be mad at me for posting a picture of her house before she's even arrived in Louisville.... but I think we both now that it will be 2012 before the Duncan's update their blog again... so I feel safe in doing this.


Anyway - we had a blast on our roadie... we ate a lot of pumpkin chocolate chip cookies thanks to Jenni (who outsourced this task to the Wolff twins... thanks ladies). We got to hit up some authentic KC BBQ, and the four of us got to share a room at a Motel 6 complete with sketchy dudes hanging outside the hotel late at night, roaches, and what looked like blood in the bathtub and toilet seat. Road trips are awesome.


Good luck in Seminary Duncan's and Jenkins'! We're proud of you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jake, it is a shame that you are so much like your father. He is going be behind the wheel of a moving truck in a few weeks, taking peple to Seminary.