Thursday, July 16, 2009

Alaska: Glaciers

Finally, photos from our Alaskan cruise with my mom and grandma in May.

Alaska is very beautiful...I especially loved the combination of huge mountains right on the water. One of our favorite parts of our trip to Alaska was seeing a few active glaciers. Our cruise ship journeyed up Endicott Arm Fjord one day for an up close view of a glacier. We even got to see it "calve"--watch/hear a piece of it break off and fall into the ocean.

Entering the Arm

Beautiful glacial carved U-shaped valleys

Waterfalls and lots of floating ice...which seals use to sun bathe

Approaching Dawes Glacier

Close-up view of the edge of the glacier

The family in front of the glacier.

We also were able to visit Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau

1 comment:

Heather said...

I found your blog from your Facebook page! :) Logan and I worked in Skagway AK for a few summers. I don't know if you remember but Megan and Maren Farnsworth also worked up there. I LOVED it! The helicopter rides and small plane rides over all the beautiful Glaciers is something you can't recreate! It looks like you enjoyed your cruise! I'm glad you were able to do some traveling before residency started.