Monday, January 30, 2006

Busy weekend.....

My usual weekend consists of taking Battlecat for a walk, doing chores, and watching cinematic classics like Masters of the Universe.....

This weekend was different.....

Chad Whitehead came into town - he was speaking at a conference for Houston 2nd Baptist North campus so I got to see him on Friday and Erin and I had lunch with him on Sunday! Friday night Erin's friend from school hosted a party for some of the students so we made some cupcakes and went over there for awhile..... they were playing speed scrabble when we got there and then they switched over to an absolutely maddening game called: Apples to Apples..... this game is completely subjective and there is no strategy to win..... grrrrr......

Our neighbors... the Rice football guys were hosting their usual Friday night booze fest complete with a huge ice block with grooves carved in it for taking shots...... the theme of their party was Black Out - so everyone wore black and presumably they drank until they blacked out..... definitely not my college experience.....

Sat. morning I helped BattleBill move, and then Aaron and I went to the Galleria with his sone Collin. Collin is like two years old, and at one point we were walking around the mall and Collin was in the middle of us holding both of our hands.... I wonder what people thought of that scene..... anyway that was amazing because I got two pair of dress pants and a dress shirt at Banana Republic for $27 which is pretty much my Banana world record.

On Sat night Erin and I went to her friend Lan Lan's house for Chinese new year! Lan's mom made the most intense feast ever.... there were more dishes here then at any chinese buffet I've ever been to..... it was quite the cultural experience.

Sunday we got up, and went to church - then we came home, put the roast in the crock-pot and went off to meet Chad for lunch where we were all ministered to by fajitas at Papasito's. There's something mystical about chips and salsa..... Chips and salsa hold a power over me that I can't overcome.... they just call out to me.... eat me.... eat me..... and I heed that call no matter how full I am.....
Anyway - Erin and I hurried back home to clean house before I took off for Nexus.
Erin and I hosted three of her fellow med students who went to BYU/U of U for dinner.... that was a really good time.... felt like being back home... we listened to the Sons of Provo CD that the bowlcut gifted me with (as an aside to Chris - I bought Andrew Peterson's album strictly off of your recommendation). My favorite song on Sons of Provo is called: Love Me, but don't show me" which has one of the best all-time lines in: My body is a temple girl and you ain't got no recommend.

If you don't get that line it's OK.... we'll talk later.

So that was the weekend....

I've finished several books lately:
I Love Mormons - David Rowe
The Normal Christian Life - Watchman Nee
Mere Christianity - CS Lewis

Right now I'm reading Christ of the Covenants by OP Robertson.... very slowly.... I wish I had the book on tape because he has an awesome southern drawl.....

Battlecat has class tomorrow.

That is all.....

3 comments:

John Roberson said...

$27??????

Danny said...

"I wish I had the book on tape because he has an awesome southern drawl....."

I've probably said this before, but you have not truly lived until you've heard Paul McCarley ready from "The Message."

The combination of informal language and "twang" makes for a hilarious experience. One might almost expect to hear the following (without being too far off): "Let's git aafter Jo-aaaab and his min befowre they howle uup in some city lak Alabayma ticks..."

Anonymous said...

I love Watchman Nee!
His stuff has impacted me in such a deep way, I don't think I even understand it. I have read most of his books and have been so encouraged by his personal walk with Jesus. He was something special.

I am a musician and WN has inspired many of my songs. I would be honored if you would check out my music on my site. All my music is free for download. Anyway, I just thought that I'd share.

Thanks,
-Sean
________________________
www.SeanDietrich.com
"All my music is free for download."