Thursday, September 22, 2005

Hurricane Rita

So.....

On Wed. Erin and I got the word that Baylor was shutting down for the rest of the week along with most local businesses.... so we headed home, packed up some things, unplugged everything we could, and hit the road.....

It took an hour or so to get to the HOV ramp for I-45 heading north out of the city..... and we flew in the HOV lane.... then once the lane ended and merged back with the freeway- we received one large shaft....

The freeway was creeping along, but the feeder road was moving really well, so we got on the feeder, and right after we got on, we noticed all sorts of state troopers.... they were blocking all the onramps to the freeway..... over the next 3 hours, Erin and I traveled 5 miles.... which caused me severe frustration.... several colorful metaphors later we were back on the freeway....

Timeline:
12:30 - I decided to come home from work
2:45 - we left our house
3:45 - we got on the HOV lane
4:15 - merged back onto the freeway
8:00 - yeah.... we'd traveled 45 miles in 5 hours...
Midnight: We arrived at Brandy Patrick's!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hooray for Brandy!

Marylin and Doug brought over a bed to Brandy's house for Erin and I, and that was incredibly nice!

So that's the update.... not sure what's going to happen to our new home..... our street is probably 2 or 3 ft higher than the main street on our block, and it's physically impossible for any flooding to take place a la Katrina - our street is shaped like an upside-down bowl..... the real fear for us is the wind damage.... Our house is surrounded by a gate and other homes... so hopefully we'll be OK....

Not sure when we'll be able to go back home though....

Anyway - thanks for the calls/e-mails/blog comments....

This is Jake Umbriaco from the Ft. Worth public library..... signing out.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jake & Erin.... Mom & I are extremely happy you are safe. Thank You Brandy !!! We join you in prayer for the whole greater gulf coast area. Thanks for keeping in touch with us...

The Bearded said...

Jake and Erin,

Glad all is well--you got out AND have a place to stay! That's great! Hopefully no damage to your house.

I'm in the Land of Broncos for a day or two (conference in Laramie). I'll head back to KS Sunday and will be sure to watch our team crush KC Monday night.

You're in my prayers.

Danny said...

Good to hear that you're out of the way.

jake and erin said...

All,

Thanks for the prayers... I had a friend who stayed in Houston go by our house and he said everything is fine....

John - Go Broncos! That would be a huge win.... I'll actually be in Laramie on Friday... what are you doing there?

Chris - I'll be in CO on Monday provided we can actually get back into Houston on Sunday.... not sure if that's realistic or not....

I'll blog again when I get back to Houston.

-jake

Anonymous said...

go on now blog

Anonymous said...

Dog-

Been wanting to get a hold of you. I saw you tried IM'ing me last week. E-mail me your phone # and e-mail addy...Haven't updated those in some time.

Cheers-
Fuerst

thirdfuerst@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

Hi there " jake & erin " --- I was in the search engines researching SEO Software when I came upon your blog..... I don't know if you are out of place in the engines, or I am out of place and just don't realize it :-)