Friday, September 09, 2005

I met a guy on the train......

When Corey D and I were in Italy together - we met a man who I will never forget.....
His name was Kazeem (now Timothy - assuming he's alive still). Kazeem was a refugee from Nigeria - he was a professional footballer (that means 'soccer player) and had to flee to avoid serious government persecution. While in Italy, Kazeem came to know the Lord Jesus and seeing how it impacted his life changed me in ways I'm only starting to realize. When we first got to Italy we collected an offering to raise some money so that Kazeem could pay his rent for the next five months...... In Italy you had to be unemployed (as a refugee) for 6 months before they'd allow you to immigrate. Kazeem had already been taken on by a Serie C club (third division professional calcio (soccer) team) but had to deal with the red tape...... so being broke already and forced to live with no income for 6 months tends to make people either desparate or profoundly grateful/gracious. Of all the things I remember about Kazeem (when he juggled the ball 300 times consecutively w/o letting it touch the ground) the thing I remember the most is his baptism in the Mediterranean Sea. One of the long-term missionaries, Troy was going to baptize Kazeem, and Troy's daughter. We took a train to the beach and the group of missionaries, and Kazeem and one of his friends (and Amanda Lindholm coincidentally) all walked along to a quiet spot. Along the way we passed a very elderly woman who was begging clearly in need....everyone passed her by.... except Kazeem. He stopped..... and he gave her what he had on him.... which couldn't have been much since he had no income. It was such a beautiful expression of mercy - and it really hits me hard now. I met a guy on the train the other day named Allen..... Allen is staying at the Astrodome with 25,000 other evacuees.... he had just come back from a long day of trying to find his way around a new city and trying to find an apartment. Allen was an employee of the postal service in New Orleans.... he mentioned how he'd watched 4 people die due to lack of medical attention while they waited to be evacuated.... he expressed a desire to get out of the astrodome so he could get some real rest.... supposedly the USPS is going to hook him up with a job out here.... as he told me his story I wanted to reach out to him - to help him in some way...... I listened to his story all the way to his stop.... we shook hands, and I gave him my number... and he went away - through the gates to join all the others.

I see 25 Allens every day on the train and I wonder - what can I do in 10 min. on a train together to reach out to them?

I left a message today with one of the local hospitals.... they are seeking volunteer chaplains and I'm hopeful about that. I just want those people to know that I weep for their city....... and I think of Kazeem..... after he came to faith he asked if he could receive a Christian name, and Troy dubbed him Timothy. Last I heard, Timothy was having trouble with his paperwork and was in danger of being deported back to Nigeria where people like Timothy are killed for forsaking their 'Kazeem' heritage. I don't know if Timothy is alive today or not - but I am deeply grateful for his expression of real mercy to that women - it really guides me to the cross and I hope that I find myself compelled in a similiar fashion because these days of visiting with Allens on the train won't stop for a long time to come.

3 comments:

Danny said...

Those are great stories to have you share; they say a lot about Christ in your heart.

Anonymous said...

i think the broncos have mad cow disease, hopefully i will be able to get a hold of you soon, this phone tag thing makes me feel kind of funny, like when we used to climb the ropes in gym class, or get tickled unceasingly by dad as he joe-moblized us...pow

Anonymous said...

Hi there " jake & erin " --- I was in the search engines researching SEO Software when I came upon your blog..... I don't know if you are out of place in the engines, or I am out of place and just don't realize it :-)