Saturday, August 20, 2005

More Clemens

This Thursday - Erin and I went to see Roger Clemens pitch for the Astros (v. Brewers).... once again I was afforded free tickets to a suite... which is sweet! We feasted on mini-burgers and chicken strips which is always a glorious occasion... Erin studied most of the game and on the train back home had me quiz her on various muscles.....I'm picking up random medical knowledge... and I think that will make me a stronger Jeopardy participant one day when I take the random trivia world by storm....

Last night after Erin studied a bit we went over to Justin and Lauren Stone's house.... they're moving to Fort Collins in a month or so, and it was cool to see them for a little bit before they leave town. They were telling us (along w/ Rob and Toni) about the bonfire incident at Texas A&M where 12 people died..... interesting conversations....

Erin is at school all day today studying. Her first exam is Monday - so prayers for the Umbriaco household are much appreciated..... I've gone domestic in Erin's absence: cleaning... cooking... taking out the trash... etc. I think there's a possibility that she'll come home tonight so I may see her for 5 to 7 minutes this weekend.... I'm one lonely husband....

I guess I'm not really alone though.... I could go outside and try to develop my non-verbal communication skills with the cockroaches that frequent the streets..... I'll look into that.

I've been thinking a lot lately about the bride as the church analogy...... how a man reacts when he sees his bride walking down the aisle... and how Christ looks at His bride... the church. That's really been a transforming grace for me over the past week - that Christ sees His bride as beautiful and He loves her and cleanses her and is steadfast and forgiving..... so many times I need to speak that to my heart.... unconditional love and acceptance... that's really amazing.....

If you get a chance you might listen to Tim Keller's thoughts on the subject at:

http://download.redeemer3.com/MP3/Lord_Of_The_Wine.mp3

2 comments:

J said...

Sorry to hear you are so lonesome. I, too, am lonesome tonight. I got kicked out so milady could have girls night, but its ok. Glad to hear the fact of the day helped someone out there, thats what makes the endless hours of research worth it.

Hävuhgudun,

jon

Danny said...

"I could go outside and try to develop my non-verbal communication skills with the cockroaches that frequent the streets."

I hate to tell you this, Jake, but crushing those underneath you is often rewarded by a quick trip to a sensitivity seminar. That's only in the corporate world, though.

If you got into more of a Metal profession (a step up from the hard-rock thing you do now...I mean, has geology ever been written up in "Metal Edge?"), then you would be encouraged, nay, compelled to smash your adversaries like so many insignificant insectoid forms.

"...and the dragon comes in the niiiiiiiiiiiiight!" *Crack* "Trrrrroooggggdoooor!" *Bamf*