Tuesday, February 15, 2005

No Stairaway? Denied....

So this is what's on my mind lately......

After going through Ryle's Holiness I've found myself getting really frustrated....like really frustrated w/ the church and myself.

Our world is swamped with relativistic notions.... and in a christian worldview, we say that's incorrect, that truth is absolute.... yada yada yada.

Yet somehow, once we get inside modern christendom, I think it becomes apparent that everything becomes relative once again..... instead of truth being relative for the pursuit of self-serving ends, we now have truths that are relative for perceived God-honoring ends.

For example:

We don't want to "argue" over doctrine, let's just embrace the things we all accept, and the Holy Spirit will sort us out.....

This kind of unwillingness to think and search out truths drives me nuts, and I have to constantly remind myself of my own woeful condition, just to right my sinking vessel of pride and indifference.

As I was reading Ryle, and sharing with the brothers at men's group, it became clear that a biblical view of justification is an absolute necessity to pursue biblical holiness..... what a stumbling block our flesh is already, and to try and wage war on sin and live for the kingdom, what an almost hopeless situation to go into when not equipped with the sword of the Spirit. Rather, most christians I fear run headlong into battle equipped with the dull pacifier of emotion. After all, it's served as a worthy crutch to get through so many other situations.

Where is the assurance and confidence that Paul exudes to be found in a person who has an improper understanding of justification by faith alone?

This has really burdened me lately. How does the church tackle this? How should we communicate to the self-help church that has the ear of the masses and encourage them to speak forth truths that cut us to the quick rather than pander to an audience for the sake of numbers & "opportunities" which will materialize at a time to be named later.

Do you see what I'm saying? Why is it that if a man kills another man in the heat of battle it's called heroic, but if that same man kills another man in the heat of passion... it's called murder....

Sorry....

Why is that truth is not relative outside of the context of christianity, but once inside, we're willing to say that almost everything is subjective..... and what's more we're OK with that.....

Well I'm new at this whole blogging thing, but I needed to get that off my chest, so I'm sorry if it's incoherent....

peace out.

1 comment:

jake and erin said...

Weak,

I went out of town.... I'm back now...