Sunday, November 02, 2008

1 John 3:11-4:6

Here's a pic of the new parents with Elliana!

Our pastor came down with laryngitis this week so he asked me to preach. 1 John is an interesting book for me to preach out of. Paul's thought progression is linear - but John's is more circular. He introduces topics and then leaves them and returns later on.

The text: 1 Jn 3:11-4:6 is intensely practical - and really focuses on how we love God and our neighbor. I had some technical difficulties with the lapel mic so I'd started into the first couple of minutes and then started over... and that's where the audio picks up. The first text referenced is 1 Cor. 13:4-8. Just a little fyi in case the opening is confusing.

Anyway - here's the link:
http://www.kaleohouston.com/mp3/called_to_love.mp3

grace and peace,
jake

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jake,
I really enjoyed your sharing. I have always wondered about why Cain's offering was not good enough.Thank you for the link.
Mom

Anonymous said...

Thanks for filling in and preaching while Bill was under the weather. You did a great job. I look forward to diving into the passage and the sermon at community group tonight.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the arrival of your niece! Unfortunately I missed most of your message this past week because Mirabelle was super fussy in the kids room so I am going to definitely download the audio!

Dan's Mom said...

Hi Jake and Erin,
I'm just reading your blog to keep from having to go to bed. I think I'll read it more often! I especially enjoyed ALL of your travel photos (blog archives are fun) and Erin's narrative about her rotation in OB/GYN.
Regards, Jim's sister Patsy